By: Keana Mei Arevalo
As a native Californian, I have tried many varieties of food, especially Asian food around the West Coast. When I moved to NYC, I was on a mission to find the best Asian restaurants in the city. I have listed four Asian restaurants—and one of my favorite seafood places that serves some of the best seafood outside of New England!
- Sushi Yasaka (Upper West Side): This is one of the most affordable sushi places in Manhattan with great sushi! I highly recommend the fatty tuna and the lobster tempura roll.
2. Mermaid Inn: (Upper West Side) This might be the priciest restaurant on my list but it is well worth it. The seafood is so fresh and the restaurant’s environment sets you in a good mood. I recommend trying their oysters and roasted everything salmon! (Ed. note: There’s a daily happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm with discounted food and drinks.)
3. Charm Thai: (Morningside Heights) If you’re looking for good, fast, and cheap Thai food near campus, try it out! My favorites are pad thai, green curry, and Singaporean noodles.
4. Mei Lai Wah (Chinatown): If you are looking for cheap, fast, and tasty Chinese food this is the place for you! They have the best pineapple pork buns—only $1.65 each—I’ve ever tasted. They gained popularity through Tik Tok and typically have a line. Take out only.
5. Wah Fung Fast Food (Chinatown): My New Yorker friends recommended this classic. It has been in business for a long time and became popular with tourists through Tik Tok. Typically you see a long line forming outside. They are known for their combo of rice, duck, and cha shu pork. The sauce they drizzle on top of the meat and rice, creates the perfect meal for only $7 (which could feed two people!). There is also a park across the street, which is great for just hanging out and eating during the warmer months.