You may have heard that Teachers College jumped six notches in the rankings to claim the #1 spot for Best Graduate School of Education for the 2023-2024 academic year in U.S. News & World Report. Sounds great! But what does that mean for you as an incoming student?
As laid out in Teachers College Ties for #1 Best Graduate School of Education in U.S. News & World Report Rankings, published on TC’s website last month, the “College’s gains in research funding and public prominence were driving factors” in the top ranking, as well as a new methodology that weighed some key factors more heavily. Let’s break this down:
TC ranked second in total research expenditures ($65.2 million) among the top ten ranked schools and increased its funded research per faculty member. What does this mean for you?
- You can expect to be taught by faculty conducting cutting-edge research in their field — and have the opportunity to participate in this research.
- More funding attracts the best talent to join our faculty. That impacts the quality of your education and your professional network.
TC ranked second in peer and expert assessment. How does TC’s increased public prominence affect you?
- It attracts top talent to the College, not just in its faculty but also in its student body, which will foster more impactful collaboration and further improve your network.
- Employers and other institutions recognize TC, enhancing your career opportunities. Your Teachers College, Columbia University diploma will signal that you are among the best of your peers.
U.S. News & World Report adjusted its ranking methodology, which helped Teachers College rise to the top. Here are the key takeaways that will impact you most.
- Low student-faculty ratio: This allows more personalized attention and mentorship.
- Number of degrees granted: The high rating here reflects the College’s commitment to its students’ success.
- Faculty honors: Having distinguished and celebrated educators enhances your educational quality and boosts TC’s reputation.
TC’s Commitment to Excellence
To us, the ranking reflects that we’re on the right path. “I am pleased with our progress and remain confident that with our dedicated pursuit of TC’s strategic priorities, we will continue to advance TC as an institution through the measures of success we have experienced this year,” President Bailey wrote.
In addition to the #1 overall ranking, we also are proud to boast these peer and expert rankings:
- #2 in Curriculum and Instruction
- #2 in Educational Administration and Supervision
- #5 in Education Policy
- #2 in Elementary Teacher Education
- #3 in Secondary Teacher Education
- #8 in Student Counseling and Personnel Services
See you soon!